I just can’t do this.
That’s a lie. It’s a lie we tell ourselves far too often about the Christian life. We look around at others who seem, on the outside at least, to have it all together. We assume that they probably can do this but that we, by comparison, just don’t have what it takes.
This is what God has to say about that:
By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life.
– 2 Peter 1:3 NLT
Let’s break this down. God has given us… everything. Not some things. not a few things. Everything. Everything you need to live a godly life is at your fingertips. It’s all at your disposal. For example…
- God has given you, by creation, the ability to think, feel, and make decisions.
- God has given you, for your redemption, the gift of his Son, Jesus.
- God has given you, as revelation, the Bible – his instruction manual for life and faith.
- God has given you, for your empowerment, the Holy Spirit who lives in you who believe.
- God has given you the unbreakable promise of heaven.
And much more. That’s just the start of it all. You lack nothing.
In other words, you can! You can do this! You are up to this! You’ve got this! And lest you fall into the trap of thinking this is all about you and your ability, let’s remember the beginning of the verse… By his divine power.
Being godly isn’t about being good. It’s about believing in the One who is good. It’s about trusting the promises of our ultimate provider, God. So go get started!